NZ Symphony Orchestra To Appear At Olympic Cultural Festival In Beijing
The New Zealand Symphony Orchestra has been invited to perform at the Olympic Cultural Festival in
Performances will include John Psathas' Olympic Music (based on his 2004
Olympiad XXVIII - August, 29 2008 at Forbidden City Beijing
The New Zealand Symphony Orchestra gives the world premiere of Psathas’ "Olympiad XXVIII" - a new suite of symphonic arrangements based on his music for the Opening and Closing Ceremonies of the Athens 2004 Olympics Games
About John Psathas
It was with a great sense of pride that we found out that Greek New Zealander John Psathas' music was a major part of the Athens 2004 Olympic Games Opening and Closing Ceremonies - definitely a highlight of John’s career to date.
John commuted several times between
John also arranged the National Anthem of Greece, the Olympic Hymn and music by Shostakovich, Debussy and the foremost living Greek Composer Mikis Theodorakis that accompanied other parts of the ceremony. Watch the Cauldron Lighting at the Opening Ceremony for one of John's adaptations
John Psathas is not only one of
His music is heard regularly on the world's concert stages, and has been performed by Michael Brecker, Joshua Redman, Evelyn Glennie, Pedro Carneiro, Federico Mondelci, Michael Houstoun, and many fine ensembles.
John was born in
Some of John's most recent compositions are View from
Although his music has been performed at the Megaron (Athens Concert Hall) in the past and will be performed again in October this year, we hope very soon to see one of John’s Greek-inspired works either ‘View from Olympus’ or 'Zembekiko' performed at the Herodeion or at the Megaron!!
- Awarded the 2002 SouNZ Contemporary Award for View From
- Named an Arts Laureate by the Arts Foundation in 2003.
- His album Rhythm Spike was BEST CLASSICAL ALBUM 2000, and Fragments BEST CLASSICAL ALBUM - 2004, in the NZ MUSIC AWARDS.
- At Victoria University School of Music he is nurturing a new generation of composers.
- The NZ Herald named him as a contender for New Zealander of the Year 2004.
- He was awarded Officer of the New Zealand Order of Merit (ONZM) in the 2005 list for his services to music.
Upcoming performances of John’s music in Greece
October, 20 2008 at Megaron Mousikis,
"Helix" to be performed as part of the Greek Composers Series
More About John Psathas